Action/Reaction works to create meaningful interplay across the boundaries of various artforms. Whether with novices or masters, this program uses the work of GroundWorks to inspire to art and responses from others in our community. The video below depicts a recent program with Judson Manor:
Action/Reaction is a four-part program designed to connect with participants with little or no experience of contemporary dance, but who are involved with creative practices in other art disciplines. The program works to connect them to dance in a meaningful way – ultimately allowing them to articulate their own “reaction” or creative expression in response to a GroundWorks DanceTheater performance.
Through an interactive introduction of dance tools and terminology, observation of rehearsals and performance, and finally the completion of a creative response of their own, GroundWorks works with participants to create an exchange of ideas through collaborative learning. GroundWorks first explored this project as a part of the company’s ongoing residence with Cleveland State University in 2012. Since then, the company has partnered with John Carroll University, The University of Akron, Cleveland Institute of Art and Judson Manor (Senior Living Facility), among others. The program is implemented in 4 steps:
- GroundWorks meets with participants to create an interactive movement experience introducing dance and movement tools, as well as the creative process employed by the company.
- Paritcipants visit a company rehearsal to observe our process and learn about the works the company is preparing to perform.
- Participants participants attend a GW performance.
- Participants create a reaction to the performance based on their experience and response to the works.
Goals for the program include:
- To provide participants with a deeper artistic understanding and appreciation for dance and the choreographic process.
- To provide the opportunity for a two-way exchange around creativity and themes explored in the works.
- To connect the creative process of dance-making to a creative subject with which participants may be more familiar, thereby creating a new connection to contemporary dance.
- To provide opportunity for the wider community’s understanding and appreciation for dance through the showcasing of creative reactions (either on our Website or throughout participants networks).
- To build and deepen GW connections with area colleges, universities and cultural organizations and offer a collaborative resource for professors/instructors looking to enhance their curriculum.
To learn more or inquire about bringing an Action/Reaction experience to your organization, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.[/fusion_text][/fusion_builder_column][/fusion_builder_row][/fusion_builder_container]